– FILEMAXX is a database system based on files.
– These files are specific type of VSAM files.
– Unique part about these files is that each record in any file can be identified independently with a key that is present at the start of each record.
– FILEMAXX files can be modified in ONLINE or by using BATCH jobs. Files cannot be modified as normal PS files in utilities like FILE-AID. These files allow edits using utilities like FILE-AID, but that record might be corrupted and you might face issues when you use that file in any job.
– To use FILEMAXX files in Batch or Online, that particular regions FILEMAXX server must be up.
– You might get a user ABEND when you try to access FILEMAXX files without bringing up its server.
– For accessing files in online mode, the following steps need to be taken.
- Ensure that the FILEMAXX server is UP
- Ensure that the Region and Subsystem that uses FILEMAXX is UP
- Then type FLMXINIT and press ENTER twice OR go to NM and type FLMX and press ENTER
- Then you will need to enter your login details for that particular FILEMAXX region
- In Action, type A and press ENTER to attach the database.
- Type X in action to close the screen.
- To update any record in any file, you need to read the record first, by typing R in action, then the type of Read (By using Primary Key or secondary keys), and the key value. This would display the record.
- Once the record is displayed, make the necessary changes and then type U in action for Update.
– While bringing up the FILEMAXX server, you might face an ABEND. The issue might be with the control file. Bring down the subsystem that uses your FILEMAXX files, correct your control file and then try bringing up the server again.
– Records in few of the files can also be read by using the record type that each record has. System Control file is of this type. And each record has its own specific fields related to a particular process.
– Before starting the batch process, ensure that the subsystem using the FILEMAXX region is brought down. This would avoid the updates that might happen in ASYN tasks in that online region.